LimerickNews“Very angry”: Cancer campaigner Vicky Phelan implores health minister to reconsider launch date of CervicalCheck TribunalBy David Raleigh – October 22, 2020 214 Linkedin WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Posting a series of messages on Twitter, Ms Phelan said she was “very angry” at how the proposed tribunal of inquiry was being handled before it had even started.Yesterday Minister Stephen Donnelly brought a memo to Cabinet proposing to open the tribunal next Tuesday, which is to investigate negligence in the State’s cancer screening programme.However, Ms Phelan, a member of the 221plus campaign group, which formed following the cancer smear test scandal, claimed the women affected by the scandal and their families “who this Tribunal is aimed at, were not afforded an opportunity to respond to the Minister’s decision to formally establish the Tribunal BEFORE it was announced”.“As we have become used to, those most affected are often the last to know,” Ms Phelan tweeted.“We met the Minister and officials from (Department of Health) on a Zoom meeting just 6 weeks ago. We set out several aspects of the proposed Tribunal that were causing us, and our members, serious concern, the Minister’s response yesterday is a flat rejection of ALL of our concerns,” she said.“We asked for a non-adversarial route to be found for the Tribunal, one NOT obliging women to fight the labs given recent rulings. The (High Court) in the (Patricia) Carrick case reaffirmed the view taken by the (Supreme Court) in (Ruth) Morrissey, that it was NOT necessary for women to sue the labs…”“Women could instead rely on the non-delegable duty owed to them by the HSE, who were found primarily responsible for the cervical screening programme in the Morrissey case. The HSE could then rely on their contractual and legal indemnities against the lab.”“BUT The Minister rejected these arguments and set out in his letter how the laboratories MUST be involved in proceedings if taken before the Tribunal. This will NOT be acceptable to many of our members,” Ms Phelan said.The Limerick mother who was given a terminal diagnosis after she was given a false negative smear test result, added: “We asked that applicants to the Tribunal who receive an award be allowed to return to the Tribunal should they suffer a recurrence of their cancer, in the same way that the State allowed applicants before the Hep-C Tribunal to return where their health deteriorates.”“Such a right to return to the Tribunal would be an advantage over the High Court procedures where, of course, no such right exists. The Minister’s letter did not even address this hugely important issue,” she said.“Another issue that the Minister did not address is that of the Statute of Limitations. We explained to the Minister that some of our members have received legal advice that they may now be statute-barred because they relied on the Government’s promise of a ‘non-adversarial’ Tribunal and did not issue (High Court) proceedings.““These members may now, through no fault of their own, be statute-barred because of delays by Government of more than two years in establishing this Tribunal. The Minister did not address this issue,” she added.“We had been given to believe that it was the needs of the women and families affected by the CervicalCheck debacle and NOT those of the @HSELive and the labs that were to come first in the Government’s response to the terrible wrongs visited upon our members.”Ms Phelan further argued that “on the basis of all of the above, we would ask the Minister to reconsider any move to launch the CervicalCheck Tribunal next week”.“Instead, we would plead with him to redouble efforts to sit down again with members of the @221plus, to identify an alternative solution of redress which is what our members have asked for, and what they deserve.” Facebook Previous articleShop LOCAL | Shop LIMERICKNext articleWhat Do Level 5 Restrictions Mean For Football? David Raleigh Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live LIMERICK CervicalCheck campaigner Vicky Phelan has accused the Minister for Health of ignoring her and her fellow cancer campaigners concerns over the proposed CervicalCheck Tribunal, which is due to start October 27th. “Otherwise, we will be recommending that @221plus members NOT participate in this Tribunal should it go ahead in its current format next week.“ Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limerick Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Post Twitter WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print Vicky PhelanPhoto: Oisin McHugh True Media Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Email Advertisement
Top StoriesCBI Takes Over Hathras Case Probe From UP Police LIVELAW NEWS NETWORK10 Oct 2020 9:10 AMShare This – xA week after Uttar Pradesh government recommended CBI probe into the Hathras case relating to the alleged gangrape and murder of a 19-year old Dalit woman, the Central Government on Saturday issued a notification for the investigation in the case by the central agency.A petition is pending in the Supreme Court seeking court-monitored CBI probe. The UP Government told the Court that it has…Your free access to Live Law has expiredTo read the article, get a premium account.Your Subscription Supports Independent JournalismSubscription starts from ₹ 599+GST (For 6 Months)View PlansPremium account gives you:Unlimited access to Live Law Archives, Weekly/Monthly Digest, Exclusive Notifications, Comments.Reading experience of Ad Free Version, Petition Copies, Judgement/Order Copies.Subscribe NowAlready a subscriber?LoginA week after Uttar Pradesh government recommended CBI probe into the Hathras case relating to the alleged gangrape and murder of a 19-year old Dalit woman, the Central Government on Saturday issued a notification for the investigation in the case by the central agency.A petition is pending in the Supreme Court seeking court-monitored CBI probe. The UP Government told the Court that it has no objection to the CBI probe and requested that CBI be also asked to investigate the “criminal conspiracy” behind the alleged propaganda against the state using the case.The UP Government has registered FIRs for sedition, criminal conspiracy etc alleging that there was an attempt to promote enmity between caste groups and incite riots by propagating false news about the case. One Kerala-based journalist and three others have been arrested by UP Police while they were proceeding to Hathras to report.The UP Police has denied the angle of rape in the case by citing a forensic report which showed the absence of sperm samples in the victim’s body.The woman, belonging to Valmiki community, was allegedly gang-raped and strangulated by four upper-caste men on September 14. She was initially given treatment at Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College Hospital, Aligarh. When her health started deteriorating, she was shifted to Safdarjung Hospital, Delhi, where she breathed her last on September 29.The police cremated her body in the middle of the night, allegedly ignoring the protests of her family members. The UP Government told the Supreme Court that the midnight cremation was done to avert law and order issues as several groups were mobilizing protesters at the village to incite riots.Subscribe to LiveLaw, enjoy Ad free version and other unlimited features, just INR 599 Click here to Subscribe. All payment options available.loading….Next Story
DEARBORN COUNTY –– A project to repair slips along Stateline Road could begin as early as September if the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) awards a contract requested by local officials.There is approximately 250-300 foot section of road that is slipping off the hill about a mile and half north of U.S. 50, Dearborn County Engineer Todd Listerman said.Paul H. Rohe Company was the low bidder for the project at $200,959. INDOT will have the final say on the bid award.“Because it is federal funding INDOT does all the final review on all of the paperwork, and if everything is right I requested them to award it,” noted Listerman.The proposed project could begin early September and be complete by the end of October.State Line Road could be closed up to 45 days and drivers will be forced to take an alternate route of travel.