LimerickNews“Very angry”: Cancer campaigner Vicky Phelan implores health minister to reconsider launch date of CervicalCheck TribunalBy David Raleigh – October 22, 2020 214 Linkedin WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Posting a series of messages on Twitter, Ms Phelan said she was “very angry” at how the proposed tribunal of inquiry was being handled before it had even started.Yesterday Minister Stephen Donnelly brought a memo to Cabinet proposing to open the tribunal next Tuesday, which is to investigate negligence in the State’s cancer screening programme.However, Ms Phelan, a member of the 221plus campaign group, which formed following the cancer smear test scandal, claimed the women affected by the scandal and their families “who this Tribunal is aimed at, were not afforded an opportunity to respond to the Minister’s decision to formally establish the Tribunal BEFORE it was announced”.“As we have become used to, those most affected are often the last to know,” Ms Phelan tweeted.“We met the Minister and officials from (Department of Health) on a Zoom meeting just 6 weeks ago. We set out several aspects of the proposed Tribunal that were causing us, and our members, serious concern, the Minister’s response yesterday is a flat rejection of ALL of our concerns,” she said.“We asked for a non-adversarial route to be found for the Tribunal, one NOT obliging women to fight the labs given recent rulings. The (High Court) in the (Patricia) Carrick case reaffirmed the view taken by the (Supreme Court) in (Ruth) Morrissey, that it was NOT necessary for women to sue the labs…”“Women could instead rely on the non-delegable duty owed to them by the HSE, who were found primarily responsible for the cervical screening programme in the Morrissey case. The HSE could then rely on their contractual and legal indemnities against the lab.”“BUT The Minister rejected these arguments and set out in his letter how the laboratories MUST be involved in proceedings if taken before the Tribunal. This will NOT be acceptable to many of our members,” Ms Phelan said.The Limerick mother who was given a terminal diagnosis after she was given a false negative smear test result, added: “We asked that applicants to the Tribunal who receive an award be allowed to return to the Tribunal should they suffer a recurrence of their cancer, in the same way that the State allowed applicants before the Hep-C Tribunal to return where their health deteriorates.”“Such a right to return to the Tribunal would be an advantage over the High Court procedures where, of course, no such right exists. The Minister’s letter did not even address this hugely important issue,” she said.“Another issue that the Minister did not address is that of the Statute of Limitations. We explained to the Minister that some of our members have received legal advice that they may now be statute-barred because they relied on the Government’s promise of a ‘non-adversarial’ Tribunal and did not issue (High Court) proceedings.““These members may now, through no fault of their own, be statute-barred because of delays by Government of more than two years in establishing this Tribunal. The Minister did not address this issue,” she added.“We had been given to believe that it was the needs of the women and families affected by the CervicalCheck debacle and NOT those of the @HSELive and the labs that were to come first in the Government’s response to the terrible wrongs visited upon our members.”Ms Phelan further argued that “on the basis of all of the above, we would ask the Minister to reconsider any move to launch the CervicalCheck Tribunal next week”.“Instead, we would plead with him to redouble efforts to sit down again with members of the @221plus, to identify an alternative solution of redress which is what our members have asked for, and what they deserve.” Facebook Previous articleShop LOCAL | Shop LIMERICKNext articleWhat Do Level 5 Restrictions Mean For Football? David Raleigh Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live LIMERICK CervicalCheck campaigner Vicky Phelan has accused the Minister for Health of ignoring her and her fellow cancer campaigners concerns over the proposed CervicalCheck Tribunal, which is due to start October 27th. “Otherwise, we will be recommending that @221plus members NOT participate in this Tribunal should it go ahead in its current format next week.“ Roisin Upton excited by “hockey talent coming through” in Limerick Donal Ryan names Limerick Ladies Football team for League opener TAGSKeeping Limerick PostedlimerickLimerick Post Twitter WhatsApp RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print Vicky PhelanPhoto: Oisin McHugh True Media Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live Billy Lee names strong Limerick side to take on Wicklow in crucial Division 3 clash Email Advertisement
Topics : By age group, the infection rate within the household was higher when the first confirmed cases were teenagers or people in their 60s and 70s.”This is probably because these age groups are more likely to be in close contact with family members as the group is in more need of protection or support,” Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) and one of the authors of the study, told a briefing.Children aged nine and under were least likely to be the index patient, said Dr. Choe Young-june, a Hallym University College of Medicine assistant professor who co-led the work, although he noted that the sample size of 29 was small compared to the 1,695 20-to-29-year-olds studied.Children with COVID-19 were also more likely to be asymptomatic than adults, which made it harder to identify index cases within that group. “The difference in age group has no huge significance when it comes to contracting COVID-19. Children could be less likely to transmit the virus, but our data is not enough to confirm this hypothesis,” said Choe.Data for the study was collected between Jan. 20 and March 27, when the new coronavirus was spreading exponentially and as daily infections in South Korea reached their peak.KCDC has reported 45 new infections as of Monday, bringing the country’s total cases to 13,816 with 296 deaths. South Korean epidemiologists have found that people were more likely to contract the new coronavirus from members of their own households than from contacts outside the home.A study published in the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on July 16 looked in detail at 5,706 “index patients” who had tested positive for the coronavirus and more than 59,000 people who came into contact with them.The findings showed that less than 2% of patients’ non-household contacts had caught the virus, while nearly 12% of patients’ household contacts had contracted the disease.
De Gea has endured a considerable amount of criticism with regard to his performances for United since he joined them from Atletico Madrid in the summer of 2011, but he has made impressive progress as time has gone on and been earning plenty of praise for his form of late. United boss David Moyes described a save the 22-year-old Spaniard made in Saturday’s 3-2 Barclays Premier League win over Stoke as “extraordinary”. Press Association And speaking to United Review, Red Devils goalkeeping coach Woods said of De Gea: “David has got everything that you need to be the best and he has just got to keep doing what he is doing at the moment. “It is about achieving a level of consistency, which he is now doing but I don’t want to tempt fate. “He has everything needed to be up there with the best.” Former England goalkeeper Woods began working with De Gea over the summer, having – like Moyes – switched from his job at Everton to the same position at United. The 53-year-old ex-Norwich, Rangers and Sheffield Wednesday player, who made 43 appearances for the Three Lions, is enjoying life with the Red Devils and has praised the attitude of the group of goalkeepers he oversees, which also includes Denmark’s Anders Lindegaard and Ben Amos, capped three times by England Under-21s. “They have been absolutely first-class,” Woods said. “From my point of view, they have taken the training on board, worked hard and I don’t think they have moaned! “They have worked really hard and we are forming that coach-player relationship that you need. “It’s a little bit different to working with outfield players because you are such a closely-knit group all of the time, so you need to trust in each other. “It is the hardest position because there is only one spot, but they are a good group because they motivate each other to get the best out of everyone. “I know that I am new and seeing that side of it but from my experiences, I know that all goalkeepers stand by each other. “It’s the goalkeepers’ union. I’ve found the competition between the keepers has kept the standards very high, which is what I’m looking for.” After making his first appearance of the season in the 4-0 Capital One Cup fourth-round victory over Norwich on Tuesday, Lindegaard is set to make way for De Gea to return in Saturday’s away league clash with Fulham. David De Gea has all the necessary attributes to become the world’s best goalkeeper, according to his coach at Manchester United Chris Woods.
BILL NEAL:10—ARE – YOU – READY – FOR – SOME – FOOTBALL?• YES, YES, AND YES! Here’s your training camp special report:• Steelers will go 11-5 this year. No. 1—they went 8 & 8 last year and they could have gone in the tank. No. 2—they gave away a game and lost two games they should have easily won last year. No. 3—The O-Line is back and with Hall of Fame lineman, Mike Munchak. Remember, it all starts up front!• The defense just got a much needed shot of mean, nasty, and I don’t give a damn and its name is Coach Joey Porter!• New speed at running back and receiver.• Vince Williams is pushing the entire linebacker core for that starting job.• That being said, LaMarr Woodley, Ryan Clark, James Harrison, Brett Keisel and the rest of the walking wounded are gone. Get used to it people. And trust me, it’s for the good.
Phoenix police officers escort Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer, to the 4th Avenue Jail following his arrest, Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014 in Phoenix. Arizona (AP Photo/The Arizona Republic, David Kadlubowski)PHOENIX (AP) – Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer head-butted his wife and broke her nose after she refused his sexual advances, and punched her in the face the next day, police said Thursday.The details surfaced in a law enforcement report a day after Dwyer was arrested on aggravated assault charges and deactivated from all team activities after he was taken into custody at the Cardinals’ practice facility and headquarters in Tempe. He spent a night in jail and made a brief court appearance before being released on a $25,000 bond early Thursday.The arrest came at a time when the NFL and its commissioner are under fire over a series of violent off-the-field encounters involving some of the league’s marquee players, including Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson and Greg Hardy.The NFL has said the Dwyer case will be reviewed under the league’s personal-conduct policy.Dwyer was arrested Wednesday for investigation in two altercations that occurred on July 21 and 22 at his Phoenix residence, just days before the Cardinals reported to training camp. His wife left the state after the incidents, but came forward a week ago after Dwyer apparently sent suicidal text messages including a photo of a knife.In the first encounter, police say Dwyer attempted to kiss and undress his wife, but she refused. Someone who heard the argument reported the assault to police, who showed up at the apartment but did not make an arrest. Dwyer hid in a bathroom and the wife said she hadn’t been assaulted and denied he was in the home because the running back threatened to kill himself in front of her and their child if she told police about the assault, police said.The next day, Dwyer punched his wife with a closed fist on the left side of her face, according to police. He also punched walls and threw a shoe at his 17-month-old son, who was not injured, police said.As his wife tried to call police, Dwyer grabbed her cellphone and threw it down from the home’s second story. Witnesses told police that Dwyer’s wife said, “I’m calling the police” as she held her swollen face and clutched her son.During his police interview on Wednesday, Dwyer acknowledged hiding in the bathroom when police responded to the first argument and sending a photo of a knife with suicidal threats. Dwyer denied committing an assault, though he acknowledged that he punched walls in his home, threw a phone and that his wife bit his lip during the disputes, according to the police report.Dwyer was swarmed by TV cameras as he walked out of a downtown Phoenix jail early Thursday. He declined to answer many questions posed by reporters, but said he never hurt his son and responded when asked whether he would play football again.“I will,” he said as he stepped into a taxi.Dwyer’s agent, Adisa Bakari, didn’t return telephone messages seeking comment. Messages left for Jared Allen, an attorney representing Dwyer, weren’t immediately returned late Thursday morning.During Dwyer’s initial court appearance Wednesday night, Allen asked that Dwyer be allowed to leave the state for his job, but a court commissioner denied that request after prosecutor Jay Rademacher said the Cardinals had deactivated Dwyer.As a deactivated player, Dwyer retains his roster spot and continues to be paid. Dwyer had signed a one-year, $730,000 contract, including a $65,000 bonus, with the Cardinals.The NFL has been jolted by domestic violence issues since a video surfaced that showed former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice knocking out his then-fiancee in an Atlantic City, New Jersey, elevator.Then Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson was indicted on felony child-abuse charges for using a tree branch, or “switch,” to discipline his 4-year-old son.On Wednesday, the Carolina Panthers decided that star defensive end Greg Hardy won’t play any more games for the team until his domestic violence case is resolved. Hardy was convicted of assault on a female and communicating threats after the victim said the 6-foot-4, 275-pound player threw her in the bathtub and onto a sofa covered with guns before threatening to kill her. Hardy is appealing the ruling.The Dwyer arrest adds to the pressure on NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, whose handling of the Rice case has been widely criticized.Rice was originally suspended for two games, then banned indefinitely after the video surfaced of his attack in the casino elevator.This is the second domestic violence case involving a Cardinals player. Inside linebacker Daryl Washington pleaded guilty to assaulting his ex-girlfriend and is serving a year of supervised probation. Washington hasn’t been penalized by the NFL for the offense but is suspended for this season for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy.Dwyer was booked on counts that include aggravated assault causing a fracture and involving a minor, criminal damage, and preventing the use of a phone in an emergency.Dwyer signed with the Cardinals this year and was their second-string running back after spending the last four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He scored a touchdown last week in Arizona’s victory over the New York Giants.His best year for Pittsburgh was 2012 when injuries depleted the team’s backfield in the middle of the season. Dwyer filled in and had 100-yard-plus games in consecutive weeks.Dwyer, from Marietta, Georgia, was a sixth-round draft pick of the Steelers out of Georgia Tech in 2010.___Associated Press writers Josh Hoffner, Bob Baum and Paul Davenport in Phoenix contributed to this report.