Gabriele Torsello makes contact to report he is well but reasons for kidnapping still unclear

first_img June 2, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Afghanistan Afghanistan : “No just and lasting peace in Afghanistan without guarantees for press freedom” May 3, 2021 Find out more RSF_en Help by sharing this information News Organisation AfghanistanAsia – Pacific Situation getting more critical for Afghan women journalists, report says RSF asks International Criminal Court to investigate murders of journalists in Afghanistan Reporters Without Borders said it was relieved to learn that Italian photographer Gabriele Torsello, abducted in Lashkar Gah, southern Afghanistan on 12 October, had been able to contact the aid organisation Emergency and had told them that he was well.He also said that he had been “moved to another area”, but his kidnappers have still not made any demands. Reporters Without Borders remains very concerned and calls for all possible means to be deployed to ensure that he is safely released. ———————————————-15.10.06Italian freelance photographer seized by armed menReporters Without Borders said today it was “very concerned” about the kidnapping of an Italian photographer, Gabriele Torsello, in southern Afghanistan and called for his immediate release.“He is not a spy or a bargaining chip, but a courageous journalist who has lived among the Afghan people for several months,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said, calling on the authorities and the country’s religious leaders to make every effort to obtain his release.Torsello, a freelance, was seized by five armed men from a bus on his way from Lashkar Gah to Kandahar on 12 October. The online news website Peace Reporter, which disclosed the kidnapping, said he had managed the same day to phone the head of security at a hospital in Lashkar Gah run by the Italian NGO Emergency to ask him to assure the kidnappers of his “good intentions” and that he had converted to Islam. The independent Afghan news agency Pajhwok quoted an Afghan journalist who had been travelling with him as saying he had called Torsello’s mobile phone and that a man had answered and said “We are the Taliban and we have kidnapped the foreign spy.” The Italian foreign ministry said today it was treating the incident as a kidnapping.Mullah Dadullah, a Taliban military chieftain, threatened on 4 September to kill journalists who published news put out by the NATO forces in Afghanistan. “We have an Islamic right to kill such reporters,” he said. Torsello, who has worked as a photojournalist around the world for the past decade, has been in Afghanistan for several months, wearing a black beard and Afghan clothes. He is married with one child, has converted to Islam and is based in London. AfghanistanAsia – Pacific News October 17, 2006 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Gabriele Torsello makes contact to report he is well but reasons for kidnapping still unclear News Receive email alerts Sign the petition Reporters Without Borders said it was relieved to learn that Italian photographer Gabriele Torsello, abducted in Lashkar Gah, southern Afghanistan on 12 October, had been able to contact the aid organisation Emergency and had told them that he was well.He also said that he had been “moved to another area”, but his kidnappers have still not made any demands. Reporters Without Borders remains very concerned and calls for all possible means to be deployed to ensure that he is safely released. to go further News March 11, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

Limerick charity CEO appeals for earthquake support

first_imgAdvertisement Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Twitter NewsLimerick charity CEO appeals for earthquake supportBy John Keogh – May 7, 2015 831 TAGSDavid DaltonlimerickNepal earthquakePlan IrelandRaheen Facebook Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Linkedin Previous article€20 million Limerick social housing projectsNext articleMan critical injured following Limerick assault John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR The Raheen native is appealing to people in Limerick and Ireland to support the charity’s relief efforts in Nepal, following the 7.8 magnitude earthquake on April 25 that has killed an estimated 7,500 people.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “We have 250 Nepalese staff there, thankfully all 250 of them are ok; we’ve been very lucky. At the moment the main focus is on providing people with shelter. Approximately 350,000 buildings were damaged or destroyed so people are literally in the streets.“We’re also facing into the Monsoon season in about six weeks, so getting people at least covered is a huge priority. The rebuilding operation will take years, so at the moment a lot of our work is on providing tents and shelters,” Mr Dalton told the Limerick Post.He explained that the charity is also working to provide people in the affected areas with adequate water and sanitation, and hot food and cooking facilities.Mr Dalton added that the main focus of the charity’s work is on children, including child protection, and the Nepalese team is assisting in the reunification of families and protecting children from the ongoing problem of child trafficking in Northern India and Nepal.Plan International is also trying to provide children in the affected areas with some normality by opening up schools.“All of the schools in Nepal will be closed until May 15, but in the affected areas the schools have been destroyed. We’re trying to open up educational spaces to get the children back learning, get them back into a routine and spending time with their friends. This is very important as if children miss out on a year of education it can have a detrimental effect,” Mr Dalton said.Anyone wishing to make a donation can go to www.plan.ie, or Freephone 1800 829 829. Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival David Dalton, Plan Ireland CEO, pictured in GuineaDavid Dalton, Plan Ireland CEO, pictured in Guinea LIMERICK man David Dalton, who is CEO of international charity Plan Ireland, says that rebuilding the 350,000 buildings destroyed in the aftermath of the Nepal earthquake “will take years”. WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed livelast_img read more

Oldenburg Fireman’s Festival this weekend

first_imgOldenburg, In. — Oldenburg Festival will be held Friday, June 29 and Saturday, June 30 in Oldenburg.The event includes a car show, Friday live music by Automation, A parade Saturday at 1 p.m., kids activities, fried chicken and Saturday live music by The Renegades.last_img