Reporters Without Borders has urged the Bolivian authorities to carry out a full investigation into the disappearance of the journalist Christian Osvaldo Mariscal Calvimontes, who works for Canal Plus TV Tarija and has been missing since 19 January. Investigators first looked into the possibility that he had been involved in a lovers’ quarrel. The family’s lawyer said: “It is not possible that the investigation has made no progress in four months. Some development in local or national politics is holding it back.” Camille Soulier, head of the Reporters Without Borders Americas Desk, said: “This worrying disappearance must be investigated fully and we urge the authorities to make every effort to find Christian Mariscal.“The possibility that it is connected to his work must not be ruled out. The impunity enjoyed by those who attack journalists in Bolivia is of particular concern. “The double murder of the brother and sister Veronica and Victor Hugo Peñasco Layme, in which eight of the 10 suspects have been freed and the two alleged murderers have still not been tried, is a painful reminder of this.” The journalist’s girlfriend and her new partner were arrested by the authorities in February and were released on bail. On 28 April the two suspects were ordered to be placed under house arrest by the judge in charge of the case. Bolivia is ranked 94th of 180 countries in the 2014 edition of the World Press Freedom Index published by Reporters without Borders. Slideshow: Eldia.com Covid-19 emergency laws spell disaster for press freedom Receive email alerts Organisation Help by sharing this information Bolivian journalist hounded after accusing boss of sexual harassment RSF_en June 12, 2020 Find out more BoliviaAmericas BoliviaAmericas to go further News News News May 6, 2014 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Call for new efforts to find journalist missing since January News Follow the news on Bolivia February 1, 2018 Find out more Editor still unable to return to Bolivia after six months in exile November 18, 2016 Find out more
Organisation RSF_en News Help by sharing this information Finian Cunningham, an Irish journalist and writer who had been living in Bahrain for years, was deported. He told Reporters Without Borders he had a tourist visa that was due to expire in July, but the authorities notified him it had been cancelled because of his journalistic activities. They warned him that he could be interrogated if he did not leave within 48 hours. Ever since the start of the pro-democracy demonstrations in mid-February, he had been actively commenting on developments, especially the government-orchestrated crackdown, and had been giving many interviews. June 19, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Irish writer deported
Advertisement Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Twitter NewsLimerick charity CEO appeals for earthquake supportBy John Keogh – May 7, 2015 831 TAGSDavid DaltonlimerickNepal earthquakePlan IrelandRaheen Facebook Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Linkedin Previous article€20 million Limerick social housing projectsNext articleMan critical injured following Limerick assault John Keoghhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Email Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR The Raheen native is appealing to people in Limerick and Ireland to support the charity’s relief efforts in Nepal, following the 7.8 magnitude earthquake on April 25 that has killed an estimated 7,500 people.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “We have 250 Nepalese staff there, thankfully all 250 of them are ok; we’ve been very lucky. At the moment the main focus is on providing people with shelter. Approximately 350,000 buildings were damaged or destroyed so people are literally in the streets.“We’re also facing into the Monsoon season in about six weeks, so getting people at least covered is a huge priority. The rebuilding operation will take years, so at the moment a lot of our work is on providing tents and shelters,” Mr Dalton told the Limerick Post.He explained that the charity is also working to provide people in the affected areas with adequate water and sanitation, and hot food and cooking facilities.Mr Dalton added that the main focus of the charity’s work is on children, including child protection, and the Nepalese team is assisting in the reunification of families and protecting children from the ongoing problem of child trafficking in Northern India and Nepal.Plan International is also trying to provide children in the affected areas with some normality by opening up schools.“All of the schools in Nepal will be closed until May 15, but in the affected areas the schools have been destroyed. We’re trying to open up educational spaces to get the children back learning, get them back into a routine and spending time with their friends. This is very important as if children miss out on a year of education it can have a detrimental effect,” Mr Dalton said.Anyone wishing to make a donation can go to www.plan.ie, or Freephone 1800 829 829. Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival David Dalton, Plan Ireland CEO, pictured in GuineaDavid Dalton, Plan Ireland CEO, pictured in Guinea LIMERICK man David Dalton, who is CEO of international charity Plan Ireland, says that rebuilding the 350,000 buildings destroyed in the aftermath of the Nepal earthquake “will take years”. WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed live
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 28-year-old Queens man was killed when he crashed his vehicle into a truck on the Long Island Expressway in Brentwood over the weekend.Suffolk County police said Sergio Vargas was driving a Cadillac eastbound on Route 495 when he rear-ended a tractor trailer, causing it to overturn at 5:10 a.m. Saturday.The victim was pronounced dead at the scene. His passenger, 28-year-old Sasha Adams of Bellport, was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital for treatment of her injuries. The other driver was treated for minor injuries.Third Squad detectives impounded Cadillac, are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information on this crash to call them at 631-854-8352.
Three minutes later Ghanaian midfielder Thomas Partey had Atletico back in front only for Geoffrey Kondogbia to earn Valencia a share of the points off a set piece after the restart.This was Atletico’s 10th stalemate of the season and it left them on 40 points, with Valencia in sixth, two points adrift. Read Also: La Liga: Hazard returns for Real Madrid as Barca struggle to keep their sparkleLa Liga conveniently brought the game forward to Friday with their Champions League opponents both playing league matches on Saturday.Barcelona, trailing Real by three points, host Getafe, the surprise occupants of third place, on Saturday. Real are in action Sunday against Celta Vigo.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted ContentWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?Best & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksTop Tastiest Foods From All Over The WorldWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme ParksBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For Them7 Most Beautiful Indian Top Models EverPlaying Games For Hours Can Do This To Your BodyA Soviet Shot Put Thrower’s Record Hasn’t Been Beaten To This DayArtist Got Bored With Quarantine & Painted Flowers All Over Walls Atletico Madrid were twice pegged back in Friday’s 2-2 draw at Valencia to keep Diego Simeone’s side in fourth in La Liga ahead of Liverpool’s visit next week.Advertisement Loading… Twenty four hours later Valencia are in Italy to take on Atalanta in Milan.Atletico’s Real Madrid recruit Marcos Llorente right-footed the visitors’ into an early lead before a close range header from Gabriel Paulista got Valencia back level five minutes before the break. Atletico host the runaway Premier League leaders at the Wanda Metropolitano in the Champions League last 16 first leg on Tuesday.