Russian police step up harassment of Kazakh opposition newspaper editor

first_img Help by sharing this information “We welcome opening of criminal investigation in Lithuania in response to our complaint against Lukashenko” RSF says News May 27, 2021 Find out more April 26, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Russian police step up harassment of Kazakh opposition newspaper editor Read in russianReporters Without Borders protested as the repeated harassment of Irina Petruchova, editor of Kazakh opposition weekly Respublika and a Russian national, because of her political stand towards the Kazakh government. She was arrested and held for two days by police in Volokolamsk, 120 kilometres west of Moscow.”This illegal arrest provides new proof of the Kazakh authorities hounding of one of the rare dissident voices in Kazakhstan,” the worldwide press freedom organisation said, adding, “We urge the Russian interior minister to in future take responsibility for the protection of their national to shield her from all harassment whatever form it may take.”Four police officers swooped on Petruchova on 23 April 2005 at the town’s police station passport office immediately after she had collected her new identity documents. She was then taken to the main police station and held in custody for around 48 hours until 25 April. It was her second arrest by Russian police this year and it prompted a demonstration in her support by more than 100 Kazakh journalists.The Interfax news agency reported that the Kazakhstan prosecutor-general had sent Moscow an extradition request for Petruchova, quoting a tax fraud case that went back to 2002. The prosecutor took the view that the case was too old to justify her extradition.Since she is a Russian national, Petruchova is protected by Article 61 of the Russian constitution, Article 464 of the criminal code and Article 57 of the Minsk Convention of 22 January 1993 and therefore cannot be extradited to another country in any circumstances.Police in St Petersburg arrested and questioned the journalist for four hours on 9 March 2004, after receiving an arrest warrant from the Kazakh authorities. Police handed her a document from the Russian interior ministry showing that the Kazakh fiscal police were seeking her arrest for infringing the tax law under Article 222-2 of the criminal law.Petruchova had been forced to leave for Russia in 2002 as a result of constant harassment that she was suffering in the Kazakh capital of Almaty. She was sentenced to 18 months in prison on 4 July 2002, and then immediately amnestied, for failing to declare her Russian nationality.On 22 May of the same year, the weekly’s offices in the centre of Almaty were wrecked in a fire bomb attack. Three days earlier, the body of a decapitated dog was found hanging in front of the entrance to her apartment. A funeral wreath had been sent to her on 8 March 2002.More than one hundred Kazakh journalists demonstrated their support for Petruchova in front of the Russian Federation consulate in Almaty on 25 April 2005. Respublika, with a circulation of 40,000, is one of the country’s most read opposition papers. News May 28, 2021 Find out more Organisation News to go furthercenter_img BelarusEurope – Central Asia RSF at the Belarusian border: “The terrorist is the one who jails journalists and intimidates the public” Receive email alerts Follow the news on Belarus June 2, 2021 Find out more News Russian media boss drops the pretence and defends Belarus crackdown RSF_en BelarusEurope – Central Asia last_img read more

Strike action set to hit Shannon airport

first_imgLinkedin by Bernie [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up TRAVEL disruption is on the horizon with the cabin crew branch of IMPACT trade union having served notice of industrial action on Aer Lingus.Workers will stage a 24-hour work stoppage on Friday, May 30 , starting at a minute after midnight. Cabin crew members will place pickets at Shannon, Cork and Dublin Shannon airports for the duration of the stoppage.IMPACT official Michael Landers said that cabin crew were ready to take immediate action because the company had failed to engage on the rostering issue for so long. “Cabin crew have sought to engage with the company on this issue on several occasions over several years but the company has simply refused to consider anything other than the erratic rostering patterns that have become the norm at the airline. It has resulted in an exhausted crew who feel now that the only option left to them is the option of last resort, which is a work stoppage. It’s regrettable that it has come to this, but the current arrangements are unsustainable.”Mr Landers said that the cabin crew branch is confident that alternative rosters could be implemented with no loss of productivity or at any extra cost to the airline.Currently, cabin crew can work up to 60 hours in a seven day period, resulting in shift patterns of six working days and one rest day, followed by six more working days.Mr Landers explained that cabin crew have sought a roster similar to those for pilots at the airline, of five work days followed by three rest days. Proceedures and appointments cancelled again at UHL Advertisement WhatsApp Print No vaccines in Limerick yet Surgeries and clinic cancellations extended First Irish death from Coronavirus NewsBreaking newsBusinessStrike action set to hit Shannon airportBy Bernie English – May 13, 2014 576 center_img Previous articleContestants glam up for Miss Limerick pageantNext articleLimerick’s silent and shouted protest for Nigerian children Bernie Englishhttp://www.limerickpost.ieBernie English has been working as a journalist in national and local media for more than thirty years. She worked as a staff journalist with the Irish Press and Evening Press before moving to Clare. She has worked as a freelance for all of the national newspaper titles and a staff journalist in Limerick, helping to launch the Limerick edition of The Evening Echo. Bernie was involved in the launch of The Clare People where she was responsible for business and industry news. Walk in Covid testing available in Limerick from Saturday 10th April TAGSfeaturedLimerick Airport Shannon RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Facebook Twitter Email Shannondoc operating but only by appointment last_img read more

Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday 26th June

first_imgAudioHomepage BannerNews Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday 26th June FT Report: Derry City 2 St Pats 2 Main Evening News, Sport and Obituaries Tuesday 26th June:Audio Playerhttp://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/26news.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Pinterest Facebook WhatsApp Pinterest Previous articleJames McClean set for Stoke City moveNext articleAppeal launched for missing woman, believed to be in Donegal News Highland Google+ Twitter By News Highland – June 26, 2018 center_img Journey home will be easier – Paul Hegarty Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ Facebook Harps come back to win in Waterford DL Debate – 24/05/21 News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th WhatsApp Derry draw with Pats: Higgins & Thomson Reaction last_img read more

Jordi Murphy: David Beckham influencing Ireland Wembley date

first_img Pictures of English soccer greats litter the walls at the FA’s world-class training base, with Leinster flanker Murphy rolling eyes when conceding just who covers the paintwork in his hotel room. “It’s Beckham,” Murphy said, albeit grudgingly. “I think my room-mate Sean Cronin is delighted. “We’ve tried to take it down! “Only joking of course, but it’s over Sean’s bed so he’s sleeping well.” Ireland’s sole appearance at Wembley to date came in the 1999 Five Nations when Wales staged a takeover of England’s famous football ground during the Millennium Stadium development. New Zealand’s clash with Argentina at Wembley on Sunday set a new record World Cup attendance of 89,019. Whether Ireland can draw inspiration from this week’s links to English football remains to be seen, but Rob Kearney cannot wait for a second chance to grace the famed Wembley turf. Ireland will face Romania at the home of English football in Sunday’s Pool D clash in the Rugby World Cup, having spent the week at another soccer stronghold. Joe Schmidt’s side are entrenched in the Football Association’s St George’s Park training complex, former Leeds boss Howard Wilkinson’s £100million brainchild. Press Association “I was lucky enough to play there once already,” said Kearney of Leinster’s Wembley clash with Saracens in 2010. “There’s so much history and tradition attached to the ground. “Even looking at it yesterday with New Zealand and Argentina breaking that record, it looked an unbelievable atmosphere – and no one knows how to party at games like the Irish.” Jordi Murphy revealed an air of inevitability about David Beckham somehow wangling an influence over Ireland’s second-ever rugby match at Wembley Stadium.last_img read more

Freshman wide receiver pleads not guilty to misdemeanor charges

first_imgUSC freshman wide receiver Joseph Lewis pleaded not guilty Tuesday at his arraignment hearing in Los Angeles to five misdemeanor charges regarding two domestic violence allegations. Lewis was arrested last month and was charged on three counts of domestic battery with an injury, a count of domestic battery without an injury and a count for false imprisonment for alleged attacks on Feb. 5 and Feb. 11. Lewis will return to court on March 27 for a pretrial hearing. He was freed on his “own recognizance” and was not required to post the $50,000 bail after his February arrest. Instead, he only had to promise in writing to appear in court for all further proceedings.The Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office declined to file felony charges against Lewis, and his case was referred instead to the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office, which filed the misdemeanor charges against him. Lewis continues to be suspended from all football-related activities at USC, University officials confirmed.“USC takes all reports of domestic abuse seriously and is cooperating fully with the law enforcement investigation,” the University said in an email to the Daily Trojan. “While this student code of conduct issue is being investigated, the student has been suspended from all football-related activities. Student disciplinary records and student conduct proceedings are confidential at USC and protected by law.”last_img read more

Champions League action tonight

first_imgReal Madrid host Roma holding a 2-0 lead from the first leg while Wolfsburg welcome K.A.A Ghent with a 3-2 lead.Both games kick off at 7.45.last_img

Micromax Canvas Selfie 2 will come with 13-megapixel camera, Android Nougat and more

first_imgMicromax prepares to add another smartphone to its Canvas family. It is the Canvas Selfie 2. Although the company didn’t officially launch the phone, it is seen listed on the Micromax India website. The new Micromax Canvas Selfie 2 sports 13-megapixel camera at the rear side, while features an 8-megapixel camera at the front for selfies and video calling.The listing reveals all the specifications of the new Canvas phone. The Canvas Selfie 2, as the name suggest has an 8-megapixel camera at the front as selfie shooters. The front camera further comes with Glass IR Filter, Sony IMX135 sensor, aperture f/2.0, 5P lens and LED flash. It is also coupled with some additional camera modes like — real-time bokeh effect, wide angle, one touch shot and face beauty mode.A 13-megapixel camera fits at the back side of the phone. The rear camera comes along with aperture f/2.0, OV 8856 sensor, 84-degree field of view, 5P lens and LED flash. It also includes some camera modes like — auto scene detection, panorama and Super Pixel 5200M. At the back, the phone also includes a fingerprint sensor.Further, the phone will be powered by a 1.3GHz quad-core MediaTek MT6737 processor which comes coupled with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage. The Canvas Selfie 2 runs on Android 7.0 Nougat and will be backed by a 3000mAh battery. The phone also comes with features like — Multi Window Support, Reply in the Notification Panel, Enhanced Doze Mode, New quick settings option and Bundled Notifications.Also Read: Micromax Canvas 1 launched at Rs 6,999, available on all offline storesadvertisementThe company website doesn’t reveal any details about the display and other features or the price tag that the phone may come with. But it highlights the fact that the handset may come with 100 days replacement warranty.Micromax recently unveiled the Canvas 1 in India. Micromax Canvas 1 comes in two colour variants — Matte Black and Chrome Black and both the variants are available across all offline channels at Rs 6,999. In terms of specifications, the new Micromax Canvas 1 comes with 4G VoLTE support, 5-inch HD display, 13-megapixel camera on the rear, while on the front comes with a 5-megapixel front facing camera.Canvas 1 runs on Android Nougat out-of-the-box and is powered by a 1.3GHz quad-core MediaTek MT6737 processor which is further coupled with 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage. The storage memory is further expandable up to 32GB via a microSD card slot. The phone is further backed by a 2500mAh battery, which the company claim lasts for 7 hours.last_img read more