3000 dead residential school children tip of iceberg says survivor

first_imgAPTN National NewsBobby Joseph is a residential school survivor.He attended the school in Albert Bay for over a decade. He now helps other suvivors.Joseph says a report released Monday confirming at least 3,000 deaths at Indian Residential Schools is just the beginning. More than a 150,000 kids were forced into the schools by the federal government for over a century ending in the 1990s.“People are beginning to validate our word that there were loss and harm and trauma in our experiences,” he says.Many of the children died of disease. It’s been well documented that children faced sexual and physical abuse.APTN National News reporter Tina House has this story.last_img

Montee Ball To Be Held Out As A Precaution

Wisconsin running back Montee Ball, who was beaten by five attackers near campus this week suffered a concussion and will not be healthy enough to participate in the opening of camp on Monday, coach Bret Bielema said.Bielema did not indicate Ball had suffered any long-term problems. He said keeping Ball out for a while would spare last year’s Heisman Trophy finalist hits that could exacerbate the injury. And it would give give other backs more repetitions in practice.Police said five men knocked Ball down as he was walking near campus early Wednesday. The men kicked him in the head and chest before fleeing.“My concern right now is for Montee’s health and well-being,” Bielema said Wednesday in a statement. “Montee has been released from the hospital and is under the care and supervision of our sports medicine staff. We will continue to evaluate him as we approach the start of fall camp this weekend. I do expect Montee to make a full recovery.”The Badgers open the season at home Sept. 1 against Northern Iowa and it is expected that Ball will be ready to play. He led the team in rushing last year with more than 1200 yards and was named the Big Ten’s offensive player of the year.Meanwhile, according to TMZ, Ball and several Wisconsin teammates may have been involved in a fight at a home several days before Wednesday’s attack, which may have precipitated the attack on Ball.TMZ said cops have been told Ball was at the home and along with some of his teammates, may have participated in beating up a non-football player.Of course, that theory leads to the idea what happened to Ball was payback for the earlier situation.Ball rejected that notion through Twitter, posting, “The report that I was involved in a fight is totally false.” read more

David Nisleit sworn in as San Diegos police chief

first_img Posted: February 27, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — David Nisleit was sworn in Tuesday as San Diego’s police chief,  a job he will officially begin on Friday.Nisleit, a three-decade veteran of the San Diego Police Department, was confirmed by the City Council on Monday. He was selected by Mayor Kevin Faulconer earlier this month to succeed Chief Shelley Zimmerman, who is set to retire on March 1.“I am blessed and humbled to be the 35th police chief of the San Diego Police Department,” Nisleit said at Tuesday morning’s ceremony. “I look forward to working with the City Council and everyone in the community in making San Diego the safest large city in the United States.”Nisleit will lead the department during a time when crime in the city is at its lowest rate in decades. But he has big tasks ahead. Among them is filling more than 250 vacant police officer positions.“Today marks a new era for the San Diego Police Department,” Faulconer said.Nisleit said he’s confident that a recently approved police contract and a new retention and recruitment plan will help the department get back to full staffing in the first time in a decade. He’s hoping to fill the vacancies largely with local candidates — those who are already committed to the San Diego community. That fits in with one of his other priorities of bolstering the department’s community policing program, which means more officers walking the beat in business districts and forging lasting bonds with community leaders.Nisleit has served in the department’s gang, robbery, narcotics, homicide, sex crimes, SWAT, internal affairs and special operations units.Nisleit currently makes $147,790. His salary as chief will be $205,000. February 27, 2018 Ed Lenderman, Ed Lenderman David Nisleit sworn in as San Diego’s police chief Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more