New Delhi: Robert Vadra Wednesday sought more time in the Delhi High Court to file his response to the Enforcement Directorate’s plea challenging his anticipatory bail in a money laundering case. Justice Chander Shekhar granted two weeks’ time to Vadra, brother-in-law of Rahul Gandhi, to file his reply to the plea seeking cancellation of the anticipatory bail and listed the matter for further hearing on September 26. Vadra’s counsel said he was outside India when the court’s notice on the petition was served on him and he has returned on July 11. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!Vadra is facing allegations of money laundering in the purchase of a London-based property at 12, Bryanston Square, worth 1.9 million pounds. The case is being probed under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act. The ED, in its plea, has challenged a trial court’s April 1 order, which granted Vadra anticipatory bail. The probe agency has sought to cancel the anticipatory bail on grounds that it required his custody as he was not cooperating in the investigation. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedThe high court had earlier also sought response of Manoj Arora, an employee of Vadra’s Skylight Hospitality LLP and co-accused in the case, on the agency’s plea seeking cancellation of the anticipatory bail. The plea, filed through ED prosecutor DP Singh, has challenged the trial court’s order, saying the special judge had failed to consider the settled position of the law that bail should not be “granted in a routine manner”. The ED has contended that if Vadra is granted the blanket protection of bail, there is a likelihood that he may tamper with evidence and influence the witnesses in the case and that the trial court had failed to appreciate that he was a highly-influential person. It has claimed that Vadra was “non-cooperative” and in spite of being given several opportunities to come clean on his alleged role in the case, he remained evasive. It said the protection given to him would be detrimental to its probe into certain crucial aspects, including ascertaining the exact source of the allegedly tainted money and the end use of the funds involved in the case.
NICOSIA, Cyprus — Cyprus’ president says more offshore drilling in search for gas deposits will carry on as planned despite Turkey’s “threats and unlawful actions” inside waters where the east Mediterranean island nation has exclusive economic rights.President Nicos Anastasiades said in an address on the occasion of Cyprus’ 59th independence anniversary on Tuesday that he remains committed to reaching a peace deal with breakaway Turkish Cypriots to reunify the ethnically divided country.Energy companies Total of France and Italy’s Eni last month teamed up to expand their gas search off Cyprus’ southern coast.Turkey doesn’t’ recognize Cyprus as a state and strongly opposes its gas search. It has dispatched vessels to drill for hydrocarbons inside Cyprus’ exclusive economic zone. Turkey says it’s protecting its own interests and those of Turkish Cypriots.The Associated Press