Senate discusses student stress

first_imgStudent Senate met Wednesday night to discuss mental health resources and general stress levels of students at Notre Dame. The goal of the conversation was to begin an ongoing dialogue about student experiences with stress and how the university’s resources can better assist the issues.Student body vice president Matt Devine began the meeting by asking the group in attendance if students are aware of their stress levels and how the levels impact their lives.The group discussed the stigma that exists when students admit to and seek mental health resources; however, the representatives also noted that the dorms serve as support system for students, giving them friends nearby to talk to about stress.Kristen Gates, a representative from Walsh Hall, said she thinks the stress levels of students stems from the desire to succeed.“There is such a high expectation for Notre Dame Students to be extremely involved and excel in academics while holding it all together, but this idea of perfection has negative effects on student stress levels.”Senate plans on holding three focus groups in the future to further gauge student perception on mental-health resources.Senate also voted to pursue a discussion with the registrar about the University’s auditing policy, which entails being able to sit in on a class and receive credit without paying for the class.Student body president Lauren Vidal also presented the State of the Union to the senate. Vidal discussed the senate’s most recent accomplishments, including the O’SNAP program, as well as other goals for the year. Vidal encouraged students to be catalysts of positive change in the campus and the world.“We must look to a time when we have all already graduated and how our actions now will effect students for generations to come,” she said.Tags: Senate, Student governmentlast_img read more

John Owen-Jones Begins Performances in Les Miz on Broadway

first_img Show Closed This production ended its run on Sept. 4, 2016 John Owen-Jones in ‘Les Miserables’ View Comments Related Showscenter_img Les Miserables John Owen-Jones, the Jean Valjean who will bring the Les Miserables revival home when it closes on September 4, begins performances in the production on March 1. He replaces Alfie Boe in the tuner, which is playing at Broadway’s Imperial Theatre.Owen-Jones, at 26, became the youngest actor ever to play the role of Valjean in the West End production of Les Miz. He is one of a handful of actors to have played the role of Valjean both in the West End and on Broadway (in 2007) and he reprised the role for the 25th Anniversary new production of Les Miz in its UK tour in 2010. Owen-Jones is London’s longest-running Phantom with nearly 2,000 performances in the role.Directed by James Powell and Laurence Connor, the current cast of the reimagined production also includes Hayden Tee as Javert, Alison Luff as Fantine, Gavin Lee as Thenardier, Rachel Izen as Madame Thenardier, Brennyn Lark as Eponine, Chris McCarrell as Marius, Alex Finke as Cosette and Wallace Smith as Enjolras.Based on the classic novel by Victor Hugo, Les Miserables is written by Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg, with lyrics by Herbert Kretzmer, original French text by Boublil and Jean-Marc Natel, an original adaptation by Trevor Nunn and John Caird, and additional material by James Fenton. The musical premiered on Broadway in 1987 and was revived previously in 2006.last_img read more

O’Connor exit surprises Schmidt

first_img O’Connor left Leinster last week after a disappointing campaign where the Dublin province failed to finish inside the PRO12 top four for the first time in 11 years. The outspoken Australian coach’s departure sparked suggestions Ireland head coach Joe Schmidt had a hand in his exit, owing to rows earlier in the season about player availability. Former Leinster boss Schmidt called a hasty press conference last month to tell his side of the story after O’Connor had complained Ireland were being heavy-handed in forcing his Test stars to sit out pivotal matches for the province. That butting of heads sparked the rumours the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) had underscored O’Connor’s exit – but Schmidt has insisted he played no part. “I was as surprised as anyone,” said Schmidt of discovering O’Connor had been sacked last week. “It’s not the IRFU’s decision: it’s purely a Leinster game board decision. “That’s the autonomy they have, and that’s the decision they made. “So it’s totally independent of the IRFU.” Ireland take on the Barbarians at Thomond Park on Thursday night, with Chris Henry making his first international appearance since suffering a mini-stroke in November. Henry underwent a heart procedure after falling ill on the morning of Ireland’s autumn Test with South Africa on November 8, returning to Ulster action in March. Joe Schmidt has denied Ireland’s bosses had any involvement in the sacking of Leinster coach Matt O’Connor. Schmidt hailed Henry’s resolve to battle back to full fitness, claiming the 30-year-old can “absolutely” fight his way into Ireland’s World Cup squad. “He was very much in our thoughts right through the Six Nations last season, he played right through that,” said Schmidt. “He was very much starting against South Africa until the morning of the game when he had to be withdrawn. “Since then I’ve stayed in touch with him a bit, tracking his progress, and his progress has been heartening, and it’s great to have him back. “I think he’s been bubbling with enthusiasm and he’s demonstrated that at the two trainings, and he’ll demonstrate that at the game again tomorrow night. “He’s just a good quality person to have around as well, so I’m really looking forward to seeing him go again. “He’s in try-scoring mode at the moment, he got one last week, he fancies himself with a bit of pace out on the edge, so we could see him all over the place, at least for 40 or 50 minutes before the game starts to slow him down a little bit.” While Schmidt will be keen for Leinster’s uncapped debutant centre Colm O’Shea to impress in Thursday night’s non-cap international against the BaaBaas, he must also keep turning his mind to Ireland’s politics. Ireland bosses are keen to tie in-demand coach Schmidt down to a new contract, with his current deal expiring after the 2016 Six Nations. Schmidt said he may have “a better window” next month to sit down with the IRFU for discussions on a new contract. “I don’t feel there’s too much panic and I don’t feel the IRFU do either,” said Schmidt. “It’s a really busy time – we’re in camp and trying to finish off the season. “I’m not going anywhere in June, and that might give us a better window. “I think it’s something that we will get to, but I can’t really comment on it.” After the fall-outs with O’Connor, Schmidt also admitted he is keen to continue fostering strong relationships with the provinces as Ireland move ever closer to the autumn’s World Cup. “I’ll be an interested observer,” said Schmidt of what part he would play in Leinster’s process to recruit O’Connor’s replacement. “Because in the end I’ll be working with that person and that person will have obviously a number of Irish international players. “I think that’s something that, again that’s their process, and we’ll find out when that process has gone through its full cycle and we’ve got someone at the end of it. “Those relationships are really important. “Everybody who is having to share resources at stages is going to be probably contesting where and when those resources are best utilised. “And that’s part of the continual feedback that exists with the IRFU and the player management that I think is something that the provinces recognise as well. “It’s certainly something that we were predicting we would continuing going forward and trying to be as positive as possible in that vein.” Press Associationlast_img read more