Freshman founds website

first_imgA Notre Dame freshman recently founded a news and opinion website that publishes content daily from universities across the country. NextGen Journal, the site that is geared toward college students, launched last week. Freshman Connor Toohill manages the site and currently serves as editor-in-chief. Toohill said he was inspired to start the news site for college students in 2009 when the national budget debate sparked interest in many of his classmates at his high school. “There were a lot of things being talked about that had a lot of impact on the next generation,” Toohill said, “but our voices were never really in the conversation.” Toohill said he wanted to create a forum for the opinions of the younger generation. NextGen Journal currently staffs over 50 college students from universities around the country, Toohill said. Students from universities such as Stanford, Georgetown, and Harvard, in addition to Notre Dame students, contribute pieces that submitted to a core group of editors. Freshman Brendan Moran is one of a core group of editors for the journal. “We went through about 75 college newspapers, picked out their best writers, and asked them to join our staff,” Moran said. According to Moran, this diversity gives NextGen Journal an edge over a single-campus publication. “We have that national focus,” Moran said, “not just only focusing on Notre Dame students and Notre Dame writers but branching out and trying to hear what’s going on and how people in other parts of the country interpret and perceive this content that is very pertinent to college students.” NextGen Journal publishes articles covering topics from international and domestic politics to music, sports and celebrities. “There’s a void out there in the national media lately for analysis and insightful content for college students,” Toohill said. “There is nothing for our generation other than the specific campus by campus content of college papers. So we’re trying to do something national with it.” Creating and developing the site was a long process for Toohill. He spent months laying the groundwork for the launch by contacting possible staff and finalizing the objectives and format of NextGen Journal. Toohill said much of the success of the recent launch to technical director and freshman Chas Jhin, who designed the website’s layout. Now that NextGen Journal has officially launched, Toohill and Moran said they are concentrating on publicizing and growing their venture. “We definitely want to expand as much as we can and focus on expanding it nationally and getting as many people aware of it as possible nationwide,” Moran said. Toohill said he shares this aspiration. “We want to become the foremost site for news and opinion by students for students,” he said. Toohill said students interested in contributing to NextGen Journal can visit the nextgenjournal.com and click on the “Join NextGen” page. “More than anything, [NextGen Journal] is interesting to the reader,” Toohill said. “There’s a lot of really great, interesting, cool, practical content.”last_img read more

U.S. 11th Circuit seeks rule change comments

first_img April 1, 2006 Regular News U. S. 11th Circuit seeks rule change comments Pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §2071(b), notice and opportunity for comment is hereby given of proposed amendments to the Rules of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit.A copy of the proposed amendments may be obtained on and after April 3 from the court’s Web site at www.ca11.uscourts.gov. A copy may also be obtained without charge from the Office of the Clerk, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, 56 Forsyth St., N.W., Atlanta, GA 30303, phone (404) 335-6100. Comments on the proposed amendments may be submitted in writing to the clerk at the above street address by May 4, 2006. U.S. 11th Circuit seeks rule change commentslast_img

Agency knew of carer’s sex crime

first_imgStuff.co.nz 28 Sep 2012Two Palmerston North children were left in the care of a convicted child sex offender for more than a year before Child, Youth and Family responded to their mother’s pleas to intervene. The mother alerted CYF in June last year when she discovered two of her three children were being cared for by their paternal grandfather, who is a convicted child sex offender. The man served seven years in prison from 2002 for historical sex offences, including rape. His victims were his two stepdaughters, one of whom was aged only 9 when the offending began. CYF intervened last month, and has admitted it should have acted sooner. The woman said she repeatedly told CYF workers her children were being left in their grandfather’s care while her former partner, with whom she has a shared custody arrangement, worked night shifts. The children were not in CYF care, but the agency had been working with the family since March. CYF operations general manager Marama Edwards said the woman raised concerns with the agency about the grandfather’s past in June, 2011 and January this year. “In raising this she also stated, on more than one occasion, that she didn’t feel this person’s history was an issue.” A Palmerston North Maori Women’s Refuge staff member has confirmed the refuge had been advocating on behalf of the woman since February. “We have looked into the circumstances of this case and, at the time, we should have completed a more thorough assessment of the children’s care arrangements,” Ms Edwards said. “A full safety plan is now in place.”….She said her experience had shattered her confidence in systems she had trusted. “That’s why New Zealand has a high rate of child abuse, because it is like this,” she said. “It has taken me going to the media to get them to do their job properly.”http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/7743464/Agency-knew-of-carers-sex-crimelast_img read more

Verbal abuse of kids ‘an offence’

first_imgStuff co.nz 28 May 2014Calling your 10-year-old daughter a whore should be recognised as a crime in the same way smacking is, a veteran police officer says.Detective Sergeant David Beattie, of New Plymouth, is fronting a call for legislation that recognises psychological abuse as an offence.This type of abuse was often worse than physical violence and had longer lasting implications for the victims, Beattie said.“I have examples of a father calling his 10-year-old daughter a “little whore” for misbehaving and the F word and the C word being regularly levelled at children,” he said.“What I’m suggesting is that this is a more serious offence than smacking yet legislation does not reflect that. It’s not about criminalising parents but protecting children.”As it stands using obscene and offensive language towards a child is only a criminal offence when there is a protection order in place.“I would like to see it as an offence to use this language towards a child under the age of 14 and to summons the parent to court.”http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/10091117/Verbal-abuse-of-kids-an-offencelast_img read more

‘US$17.1M of the US$25M Stimulus Package Used for Mop-up’

first_imgEconomic Management Team at yesterday’s Senate hearing. Min. Tweah Tells Senate, says transaction was done ‘exclusively outside the banking sector’President George Weah’s Economic Management Team, headed by Finance and Development Planning Minister Samuel Tweah, yesterday, November 13, appeared before the Senate for in marathon public hearing on the state of the economy, which lasted for over four-hours.However, due to the absence of the Executive Governor of the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL), Nathaniel R. Patray, or any of his deputies during the hearing, and the fact that most of the concerns were centered on the monetary aspect of the economy, the Senate decided that the interaction continues on Tuesday, November 20, at which time a high powered team from the CBL will be present.Although Finance Minister Tweah was answering questions from a 38-page financial document, he assured Senate plenary that the intervention of President Weah, through the infusion of a US$25 million stimulus package, has helped to thwart what was gradually becoming a looming financial crisis, following the alarming depreciation of the local currency.Minister Tweah said, however, that the transaction, unlike others during the past government, was done exclusively outside the banking sector, and assured that the CBL, which was responsible for the process, has documents with the names, telephone numbers, and emails of all those who benefited.He said through the tax waiver, the government has been losing over US$200 million, which he said the current government is going to look at critically.Tweah disclosed that of the US$25 million, US$17.1 million was used to mop up LD$2.3 billion from the market and stated further that the US$25 million was not intended to remain sustainable but a quick action intervention, which has helped to keep the exchange rate stable for some time.He said that currently, there is L$17.1 billion in circulation outside the banking sector.On the question of whether there is currently a team of foreign investigators and/or forensic auditors in the country, Minister Tweah said that the issue was outside the scope of his team’s mandate, and so he referred the Senate to the Ministry of Justice. But financial experts have questioned the legality of Minister Tweah’s actions to affect the monetary policy which is entirely the prerogative of the Central Bank.He could not also recollect whether the printing of new currency was discussed by the transition team of which he was a part, or whether the amount of money in the CBL’s vaults was disclosed to the transition team, but assured that the CBL will be well placed to answer such a query.LRA Commissioner General Thomas Doe Nah informed the hearing that the entity is doing well as projected and is above target and that as of October 1, the revenue collection stands at US$161.9 million as compared to the same period last year, which was US$115 million.Mr.Nah said the LRA is on track to realize its budgetary revenue projection of US$31 million from the Road Fund, as it has so far collected the amount of US$7.4 million that is placed in an escrow account from its recent consolidated account.Meanwhile, as earlier reported by this newspaper, the Senate has received a communication from the House of Representatives nominating managers who are expected to accompany the article of impeachment and present same to Senate Plenary on tomorrow’s Thursday.Immediately thereafter on Friday, Senate sources disclosed to this newspaper that members of the august body will meet to set a date to commence the impeachment trial.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more