Alex Rodriguez Ready to Challenge MLB in Appeal

Photo by AP Photo/Gene J. PuskarThe New York Yankees failed to make the playoffs, so their season will end on Sunday. Since there are no more games for the Yanks, Alex Rodriguez’s 211-game suspension appeal will start Monday. After being penalized for so many games, the third baseman has been telling reporters he is looking forward to going through due process and will fight the Major League Baseball decision.“Let’s get it on,” said Rodriguez as he talked to reports Saturday. “It starts on Monday. We’ve got to face it head on … I’ll be there every day. I’m fighting for my whole life, my whole legacy. I hope everyone is there.”The appeal process is expected to go on for months, and a decision may not be made until November or December. Frederic Horowitz, who will be a mutual arbitrator, will have the power to uphold, overturn or reduce Rodriguez’s suspension.The league suspended A-Rod for his alleged ties to Biogenesis and an alleged attempt to interfere with its investigation. Biogenesis of America, is a debunked Florida anti-aging clinic accused of distributing banned performance-enhancing drugs to several MLB players. The company was reportedly responsible for giving 13 MLB players, including Rodriguez, PEDs and masking them to prevent the athletes from failing their drug tests. read more

Buffon reckons Neymars absence will be a huge miss

first_imgWith Neymar set to face a lengthy spell on the sidelines, Gianluigi Buffon has revealed the Champions League will be quite difficult for Paris Saint-Germain to winThe veteran Italian shot-stopper is not a stranger to Europe’s top-tier competition as his team heads into the crucial stages of the tournament.Neymar who has notched in 20 goals in 23 games this season will miss PSG’s last-16 tie against Manchester United due to a foot injury suffered last month..@neymarjr gives OTRO an exclusive look as he begins his road to recovery. We can’t wait to see you back on the pitch. #OurOtherClub pic.twitter.com/xYMzeZ9mSb— OTRO (@OTRO) February 2, 2019Buffon, 41, is yet to win the top European club competition in his illustrious career and the PSG goalkeeper said Neymar’s absence hurt his side’s chances.“Every year, I always thought it could be the right year. But it is now 24 years since I am trying to win the Champions League,” he said on Saturday and cited via FourFourTwo.Cristiano Ronaldo, Nemanja Vidic, Manchester UnitedVidic: “Ronaldo is the most professional footballer I’ve seen” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Nemanja Vidic opened up on how a 21-year-old Cristiano Ronaldo’s professionalism left him stunned at Manchester United.“But it’s tough to do so. You have to be a bit lucky. Right now for us, it’s a particular time because Ney got injured.“For us, Ney is a significant player because he did incredible stuff for the team during the last three months.“For us, it’s dangerous not to have him.”With United’s resurgence in recent weeks, Thomas Tuchel knows his side are up for what could be a classic European tie, as the French side battle to land that elusive crown.PSG head to Old Trafford for the first leg of their tie against United on February 12.Gianluigi Buffon is concerned that Neymar’s injury means his 24-year wait for a Champions League title could continue 😱 pic.twitter.com/2KVSeT9JZa— Goal (@goal) February 3, 2019last_img read more

AMI Reports Strong Quarter

first_imgAMI saw a 7 percent decrease in expenses, according to chief financial officer Dean Durbin, who attributed the strong results to cost-reduction and revenue-enhancement goals outlined in AMI’s “management action plan” in February 2007.The turnaround comes at a particularly interesting time for AMI. In December, a sale of the company to Ron Burkle’s Source Interlink was reportedly imminent, but has stalled in 2008.Last month, the company swapped CFOs, with Durbin, a former CEO at Vertis Communications and a b-to-b publishing veteran of Thomson and McGraw-Hill, becoming AMI’s sixth CFO in four years. American Media Inc., a company whose troubles making financial filing deadlines are well documented, has reported strong earnings for third quarter of fiscal year 2008.According to AMI’s filing late last week, revenue for the third quarter of fiscal year 2008 was $115 million, as compared to $107 for the same period in 2007—a 7 percent increase. For the nine months ended December 31, 2007, revenues were $368 million, compared to $346 million in the prior year—a 6 percent increase. The publisher of Star, National Enquirer, Shape and Men’s Fitness attributed the boost to increases in advertising and newsstand revenue. According to Publishers Information Bureau (PIB) figures, Shape’s ad pages increased by 13 percent in 2007, Star and Men’s Fitness by 25 percent. AMI’s reported operating income for the third quarter of fiscal year 2008 was $17 million, compared to a loss of $302 million in the third quarter of fiscal year 2007. (For the nine months ended December 31, 2007, operating income was $75 million, as compared to a loss of $275 million in the prior year.) The company also doubled its EBITDA for the third quarter of fiscal year 2008 was $24 million, as compared to $12 million in the third quarter of fiscal year 2007. For the nine months ended December 31, 2007, EBITDA was $95 million, as compared to $56 million in the prior year period.last_img read more

Ft Monmouth LRA to Pay 33M for Parcels on Main Post

first_imgThe Army will sell the remaining parcels on the main post at the former Fort Monmouth on the northern New Jersey coast to the Fort Monmouth Economic Revitalization Authority for $33 million, under a draft agreement.While no date has been set for the two parties to complete the deal, LRA officials believe the property transfer should be completed by early fall, reported the Asbury Park Press.“There’s no doubt in my mind now we’re going to get there. It’s either going to be August, September or October,” said Bruce Steadman, the LRA’s executive director.The deal for the remaining parcels on the main post — which will be an outright sale of the property to the LRA — marks the second phase of the property transfer. The LRA plans to seek funding for the purchase from the Monmouth County Improvement Authority.The LRA plans to cover about $10 million of the debt through the sale of three parcels of land on the main post within a year of the transfer. The Army will retain all statutory environmental responsibilities on the main post, under the terms of the transfer.The Army earlier conveyed three parcels on the main post and the installation’s Charles Wood tract to the authority for $1. The Army receives 60 percent of the revenue from parcels sold under that agreement. Dan Cohen AUTHORlast_img read more

Dhaka asks Naypyidaw to pull back troops from border

first_imgThis photo taken on 27 February, 2018 shows Myanmar army personnel keeping watch as Myanmar workers build a fence along the Myanmar-Bangladesh border, as seen from Tombru in the Bangladeshi district of Bandarban. Photo: AFPBangladesh Thursday asked Myanmar to immediately “pull back” security forces and heavy weapons from the border after the troop build-up near a camp housing thousands of stranded Rohingya stirred tension on the troubled frontier.The foreign ministry “summoned” Myanmar’s envoy and conveyed the country’s “concerns” over the “military build-up” amid rising tensions following the influx of nearly 700,000 Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.Bangladesh’s acting foreign secretary “conveyed to the Myanmar ambassador in Dhaka that such military build-up will create confusion within Bangladesh and escalate tensions on the border,” the ministry said.”He told the ambassador to convey to the Myanmar authorities for the immediate pullback of Myanmar security forces along with military assets from the area,” it said.Dhaka said the troops were mobilised near a thin strip of land between the two countries where around 6,000 Rohingya have been living since fleeing Myanmar following a brutal military crackdown on the Muslim minority in late August.They were among the first to flee Myanmar and set up shelters in no man’s land in the weeks before Bangladesh agreed to let the Rohingya into the country.In recent weeks they have come under pressure from Myanmar soldiers, who have stepped up patrols along the barbed-wire border fence just metres (yards) from the camp and broadcast messages using loudhailers ordering the Rohingya to leave.Hundreds of Rohingya have since fled the camp and taken shelter in refugee settlements in Bangladesh’s southeastern border district of Cox’s Bazar.The diplomatic protest came as Bangladesh border guards and Rohingya living on the no man’s land said some 100 Myanmar soldiers arrived near the refugee camp Thursday in heavy military vehicles.”They brought at least 14 ladders and intimidated us by trying to climb over the fences and come to our camp to evict us,” Rohingya leader Mohammad Arif told AFP at the Tombru border.Myanmar border police also increased their personnel tenfold near the frontier and installed heavy machine guns and mortars at bunkers they dug in recent weeks, a Bangladeshi border official told AFP.The Bangladesh border guards had requested a meeting with their Myanmar counterparts to deescalate tensions, he said, but were told the officers were “away or busy elsewhere”.The build-up came despite Bangladesh and Myanmar having signed a deal to repatriate some 750,000 Rohingya to their homeland in Rakhine state. But the process was delayed at the last moment due to lack of preparations and protests by the refugees.Myanmar views the Rohingya as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh and has long denied them citizenship and basic rights.Bangladesh’s foreign secretary has “expressed the concern” that the troop build-up might “hamper repatriation process which both sides agreed to implement”.Dil Mohammad, another Rohingya leader, said Myanmar was making “absurd claims” that Rohingya militants were hiding in the border camp.Read more: Dhaka summons Myanmar envoyMyanmar army with heavy arms, ammunition along border: BGBlast_img read more

Snapchat Changes iOS App to Fix Things It Broke With Redesign

first_img Popular on Variety CREDIT: Courtesy of Snapchat After first testing some tweaks to its controversial redesign with a subset of its users earlier this month, Snapchat is now making the changes official: The company is switching up some of the most-criticized elements of its new design, beginning with its iOS app.Specifically, both snaps and chats are once again in chronological order. What’s more, stories from friends are once again moved to the right side of the app, where they are now listed in a separate friends row. Also on that page is now a separate subscription feed, designed to make it easier to follow stories from select publishers and creators. Snap CEO Evan Spiegel had first mentioned these design changes on the company’s recent earnings call, where he framed the changes not as a roll-back but as an optimization of the redesign.center_img “We learned that combining watching Stories and communicating with friends into the same place made it harder to optimize for both competing behaviors,” he said. “The redesign created a lot of new opportunities, and we look forward to continuing our efforts to refine and improve Snapchat.“The redesign also created a massive backlash from Snapchat’s users, with some 1.25 million signing a Change.org petition to roll it back. A number of celebrities with huge audiences on the platform echoed that criticism, including Kylie Jenner  and Chrissy Teigen. Both contributed to significant pressure on Snap’s share price, with investors worrying that the platform was at risk of losing some of its key voices.On Thursday, investors didn’t seem to much care much one way or another about the design tweaks, with Snap’s share price largely remaining flat in after-hours trading. The company’s stock has been down sharply ever since it released disappointing earnings on May 1. ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15last_img read more

Vegetarian diet more harmful to environment says study

first_imgContrary to popular assumption — and a talk by actor Arnold Schwarzenegger at the United Nations Paris Climate Change Conference — eating a vegetarian diet could contribute more to climate change than eating a non-vegetarian diet, warns a new study.Schwarzenegger, a former California governor, advised people to go meat-free one or two days a week to help protect the climate.But the new research found that consuming more fruits, vegetables, dairy and seafood is more harmful to the environment because those foods have relatively high resource uses and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions per calorie. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’“Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon,” said one of the researchers Paul Fischbeck, professor at Carnegie Mellon University in the US.“Lots of common vegetables require more resources per calorie than you would think. Eggplant, celery and cucumbers look particularly bad when compared to pork or chicken,” Fischbeck said.The study measured the changes in energy use, blue water footprint and GHG emissions associated with US food consumption patterns. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixThe researchers studied the food supply chain to determine how the obesity epidemic in the US is affecting the environment.Specifically, they examined how growing, processing and transporting food, food sales and service, and household storage and use take a toll on resources in the form of energy use, water use and GHG emissions. On the one hand, the results showed that getting our weight under control and eating fewer calories, has a positive effect on the environment and reduces energy use, water use and GHG emissions from the food supply chain by approximately nine per cent.However, eating the recommended “healthier” foods — a mix of fruits, vegetables, dairy and seafood — increased the environmental impact in all three categories — energy use went up by 38 per cent, water use by 10 per cent and GHG emissions by six per cent.The findings appeared in the journal Environment Systems and Decisions.last_img read more

Play with your sari for a different you

first_imgSaris can be formal, sexy, fun, traditional and so much more but wearing them in one style can make the most interesting and expensive look a tad boring. How about giving this six yard wonder a different draping every time you step out? * Sari as a gown: This style is comfortable yet very chic. It gives a classy look that can be a perfect choice for a cocktail outfit. These sari gowns are for those who don’t want to tuck in and drape saris the traditional way. Even if you step over the pleats and tucks, the sari-cum-gown stays in place. Also Read – Add new books to your shelf* Sari over pants: To look more trendy, you can opt for the pant style sari. For this, you would need a pair of jeggings or leggings, crop top or choli and heels. Just start by pleating one end of the sari as you would want to drape it, pinning it up and tucking it into your pants at the centre and then the other end can be draped as a chunni across the shoulders in various ways.* Sari over lehenga: Like traditional sari, one can wear lehenga style sari over a skirt along with a beautifully designed blouse. This look is achieved with the help of several pleats tucked around the waist giving an illusion of a lehenga. This is an outfit for ladies who are not comfortable with usual draping and pleating that the regular sari demands. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsive* Two saris worn together like a lehenga: This is a unique type of draping two saris like a lehenga. This style includes draping two saris together in a seamless way. Double saris make the look trendier and it’s a great alternative for traditional single sari drape. So, wear them like a lehenga and stand out in the crowd!* Mermaid style: This style is suitable for almost all body types especially for the ones with a curvaceous figure. This kind of drape gives a slimmer look to the wearer. The lower portion of the sari is draped in such a way that it looks like a skirt and there are no pleats made in front. Pick a sari with a heavy pallu or embellished border for the mermaid style look. * Butterfly style: Butterfly style is also known as the Bollywood style of wearing a sari. In this style, the pallu is made very thin, such that the midriff or navel is visible. When thinking of wearing a sari in this particular style, go for materials like chiffon and net.* Sari in Paithani style: It’s also known as the sari style of Maharashtra. Paithani style is different from other traditional draping preferred by Indian women. The sari is also longer and no petticoat is required. Pair this look with a nose ring and jasmine flowers for your hair!last_img read more