Serena Williams from the U.S. returns the ball to Jelena Ostapenko of Latvia during the final day of the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, Saturday, Dec. 30, 2017. (AP Photo/Kamran Jebreili)ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Serena Williams lost on her return to competitive tennis after giving birth, going down to French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko in an exhibition in the United Arab Emirates on Saturday.“I don’t think I am going to rate my performance,” Williams said. “I have plenty of comebacks, from injuries, from surgeries, but I’ve never had a comeback after actually giving birth to a human being. So, in my eyes, I feel it was a wonderful, wonderful match for me.”Williams struggled with her serve and Ostapenko won 6-2, 3-6 and then 10-5 in a super tiebreaker, but the American still impressed to take a set off the No. 7-ranked Ostapenko after nearly a year away from tennis.Williams said after the 67-minute match at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship that she is still undecided on her title defense of the Australian Open, which starts Jan. 15, but delivered a warning to rivals.“I don’t know if I am totally ready to come back on the tour yet. I know that when I come back I definitely want to be competing for championships,” Williams said. “I am definitely looking forward to getting back out there.“I am taking it one day at a time. I am going to assess everything with my team before deciding.”The 36-year-old Williams took time off after winning the Australian Open last January while pregnant. She gave birth to her first child, a girl named Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr., on Sept. 1. She married Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian in November.Williams has won 23 Grand Slam singles titles, a record for the professional era.“Knowing that I have won 23 Grand Slam titles and several other titles, I don’t think I have anything more left to prove. But I am not done yet,” Williams said.Despite winning her opening game when she broke Ostapenko, Williams was nowhere near her best in the first set, before fighting back and winning the second.After the initial break, Ostapenko latched onto the weak serves of Williams, and several unforced errors helped, as she stormed back into the match to go 4-1 up with two breaks.Williams struggled with her serve in the second set too, but went ahead 3-0 with a couple of early breaks as she started to hit more confident shots, including several crowd-pleasing double-handed passing shots. Another break in the ninth game delivered her first set of the comeback.“In the beginning, it felt a little tough. But as the match moved on, I was less afraid. I knew I was not going to fall over and break,” said Williams.“The more I played, the more confident I felt that I would be able to go for shots that I was afraid to go for in the first set.”In the super tiebreaker, Ostapenko raced to an 8-2 lead before quelling a brief recovery by Williams.Williams said she was delighted with the way she competed.“For me, it is all about physical, how I am feeling physically … I am just proud being out here and playing in Abu Dhabi and to be able to just compete. I have had a tough few months and I am just excited to be able to play again.”It was the first time a women’s match had been played in the traditionally men’s only exhibition event.South Africa’s Kevin Anderson defeated Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut 6-4, 7-6 (0) in the men’s final.
VVS Laxman’s retirement came all of a sudden in 2012ReutersAmidst all the debate that took place around the absence of Ambati Rayudu and Rishabh Pant from the Indian ICC 2019 World Cup squad, what stood out most was Rayudu’s tweet. But even more interesting was the retweet by another out-of-favour Indian cricketer – Pragyan Ojha.The left-arm spinner last represented India in Sachin Tendulkar’s farewell series against West Indies in late-2013. Interestingly, he was the man-of-the-match in his last Test. Ojha retweeted the comments of Rayudu and added his own views to it.Now, Ojha didn’t reveal who are those ‘Hyderabadi cricketers’ that have been in ‘similar situations.’ But does he have a point when he suggests that cricketers belonging to this proud city have had a raw deal?If we look at the most prominent cricketers from Hyderabad, one can find grievances that all of them can have. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that there is any systematic bias against these cricketers. However, let’s first look at these prominent names and their possible complaints.Mohammad AzharuddinIt is very difficult to have sympathy for this legendary batsman from Hyderabad. After all, many would say it were his own actions that led to his career ending in disgrace. While the courts may have acquitted him and there are not any official sanctions against the former India captain, he still carries the taint of match-fixing. However, he can carry the grouse of not being allowed to play his 100th Test and being forced to end his career with 99. Of course, that is a partisan view.VVS LaxmanOne of the most aesthetically pleasing players in the world and a true match-winner, Laxman’s exit from the team was very, very surprising (pun intended). In 2012, he was picked in the Indian Test side to face New Zealand in a two-match home series. But all of a sudden, VVS announced his retirement. Speculation was rife that he had been told by the selectors that this would be his last series and he responded by ending his career himself. How much truth there was in these rumours, we don’t know. But it has to be said that Laxman’s form had declined substantially in the last year of his career and his place in the team was under doubt. But for hard-core fans of the batting wizard, that won’t be any consolation. Pragyan Ojha (L) put out a tweet suggesting Hyderabadi players getting a raw dealBCCIPragyan OjhaNow we come to the main aggrieved party. Does Ojha have reason to feel hurt by the selectors? He certainly does. The Orissa-born cricketer had become a regular member of the Indian Test team by late 2010 and was acting as a deputy to Harbhajan Singh. But for some reason, Indian selectors convinced themselves that he cannot do well on non-Asian pitches. Every time India needed a second spinner outside the sub-continent, they went to Amit Mishra – be it the South Africa tour of 2010-11 or England tour of 2011.Ojha, in order to prove his worth on non-friendly pitches, played a season of county cricket for Surrey in 2011. Even the former India captain Sourav Ganguly was impressed with his performances in English conditions. But the selectors kept ignoring him and when they decided to replace Ashwin during the South Africa tour of 2013, they went to Ravindra Jadeja and not Ojha.But even before that, the left-arm spinner was getting a raw deal from his team. After emerging as India’s best bowler in the four-Test series against England in 2012, he was dropped for the first two matches of the next series – vs Australia. Imagine the highest run-scorer from a series getting dropped for the first half of the next series. It seems impossible but this is exactly what Ojha faced.His problem got compounded when the ICC decided to crack down upon suspicious bowling actions and he too had to undergo remodelling. But since then, Ojha has made a comeback but without the selectors giving him another opportunity. So, one can understand why he feels aggrieved. Among all the Hyderabadi cricketers, it’s this one who has been treated most unfairly by the selectors and team management.
nonameA major percentage of Bangladeshi children are the victims of second-hand smoke (SHS).Oxford journal of Nicotine and Tobacco Research, published from England on 7 December, showed that about 95% children in the Dhaka city corporation and nearby areas carry nicotine in their bodies due to indirect smoking.The survey was based on saliva tests of 479 primary school children at Mirpur and Savar areas of Dhaka in 2015.The article, Secondhand Smoke Exposure in Primary School Children: A Survey in Dhaka, Bangladesh, said that there was urgent need to reduce exposure to SHS (second-hand smoke) in Bangladeshi children.The study was carried out jointly by Dhaka University of Bangladesh, York University of England, University of Edinburgh and Leeds City Council Public Health Department.Member of the research team, Rumana Huque, professor of economics at Dhaka University, told Prothom Alo, “Children are harmed by family members smoking at home. On the streets, in buses, shops and restaurants, many people smoke and children get affected. Our study was on the effect of that second-hand smoke exposure.”Referring to the research results and the severity of the situation, former director of NIDCH (National Institute of Diseases of the Chest and Hospital) and chest diseases specialist professor Ali Hossain said, “One of the major contributors to child asthma is SHS. Fathers, brothers or passers-by exhale the smoke and children are the victims. There is no way to save the children from this danger except through mass awareness.”While a smoker exhales smoke, other people inhale this second-hand smoke. The article also stated that, about 40% children of the world are victim of second-hand smoke exposure.The same environment poses more risks for a child than for an adult as a child’s respiratory rate is higher than that of an adult. Moreover, a child is less capable of protesting against anyone smoking nearby.Research methodRumana Huque said, the study was conducted with the approval of BMRC (Bangladesh Medical Research Council) on 479 children between the ages of 11 to 13 years.At first, the saliva samples were sent to the ABS lab in England as Bangladesh has no nicotine testing lab. The presence of nicotine could be detected in saliva, urine and hair samples.The research team prepared the questionnaire for the children, based on tobacco-related behaviour. Questions included, “Do you live with anyone who smokes tobacco?” or “Does anyone smoke while you are in the car?”Results of the studyNicotine was found in 453 children’s saliva samples out of 479 which means 95% of the children were victim of SHS.Rumana added, “There is no other source for the nicotine that enters the child’s body other than ‘bidi’ or cigarette smoke.”She said she did not know of any similar study in neighbouring or other developing countries. Referring to the 2011 statistics of the famous British medical journal Lancet stating 40% of the world children as victim of SHS, Rumana said that Bangladesh was in a much worse condition than the others.About 43% (208) children said in the survey that at least one in the family smoked. About 21% (100) children said, their family members and guests were not allowed to smoke inside while 87% (419) said that they were recently exposed to SHS at public place (roads, shops etc.)
© 2018 Science X Network This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. A view of the Campi Flegrei caldera from Posillipo hill. Credit: Francesca Forni Journal information: Science Advances Explore further Campi Flegrei volcano eruption possibly closer than thought More information: Francesca Forni et al. Long-term magmatic evolution reveals the beginning of a new caldera cycle at Campi Flegrei, Science Advances (2018). DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.aat9401 A team of researchers from ETH Zürich, Cardiff University, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia and Sapienza-Università di Roma has found evidence that suggests Campi Flegrei could be re-entering a phase of pressure buildup. In their paper published in the journal Science Advances, the group describes their study of rock samples collected from the area and what they found. Citation: Study of rock samples suggests Campi Flegrei could be re-entering a new phase of pressure buildup (2018, November 15) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2018-11-samples-campi-flegrei-re-entering-phase.html The Phlegraean Fields (part of which is known as Campi Flegrei) is an area located near the western coast of Italy that has a long volcanic history—there are 24 craters and other land shapes in the vicinity that have come about due to eruptions. The most recent eruption was not very violent but it did create a mountain in the area back in 1583—it has been named, Monte Nuovo. Notably, Campi Flegrei is also close to Naples—to the west. Vesuvius is to the east. In this new effort, the researchers have been studying rock samples collected in the area to learn more about the history of eruptions. By learning more about the conditions that lead up to eruptions, volcanologists hope one day to figure out how to predict eruptions.Prior research has shown that Campi Flegrei experienced two major eruptions over the past 60,000 years—one approximately 15,000 years ago, and one 39,000 years ago. Both have been described as cataclysmic, offering a hint of what might occur should the volcano erupt similarly today—the area is home to approximately 1.5 million people. There have also been numerous smaller eruptions. What they all have in common are changes to rocks, glass and minerals that are moved from underground to the surface by geologic forces. The researchers studied rocks known to have been blasted or forced from the ground due to multiple eruptions and then compared them to see if they could spot patterns.The researchers found evidence suggesting that Campi Flegrei might be entering a new phase of pressure buildup—one that could potentially precede an eruption. But they also note that they found no evidence that suggests the volcano might erupt any time soon. The type of build-up they describe occurs over hundreds or thousands of years.