Montee Ball To Be Held Out As A Precaution

Wisconsin running back Montee Ball, who was beaten by five attackers near campus this week suffered a concussion and will not be healthy enough to participate in the opening of camp on Monday, coach Bret Bielema said.Bielema did not indicate Ball had suffered any long-term problems. He said keeping Ball out for a while would spare last year’s Heisman Trophy finalist hits that could exacerbate the injury. And it would give give other backs more repetitions in practice.Police said five men knocked Ball down as he was walking near campus early Wednesday. The men kicked him in the head and chest before fleeing.“My concern right now is for Montee’s health and well-being,” Bielema said Wednesday in a statement. “Montee has been released from the hospital and is under the care and supervision of our sports medicine staff. We will continue to evaluate him as we approach the start of fall camp this weekend. I do expect Montee to make a full recovery.”The Badgers open the season at home Sept. 1 against Northern Iowa and it is expected that Ball will be ready to play. He led the team in rushing last year with more than 1200 yards and was named the Big Ten’s offensive player of the year.Meanwhile, according to TMZ, Ball and several Wisconsin teammates may have been involved in a fight at a home several days before Wednesday’s attack, which may have precipitated the attack on Ball.TMZ said cops have been told Ball was at the home and along with some of his teammates, may have participated in beating up a non-football player.Of course, that theory leads to the idea what happened to Ball was payback for the earlier situation.Ball rejected that notion through Twitter, posting, “The report that I was involved in a fight is totally false.” read more

David Nisleit sworn in as San Diegos police chief

first_img Posted: February 27, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) — David Nisleit was sworn in Tuesday as San Diego’s police chief,  a job he will officially begin on Friday.Nisleit, a three-decade veteran of the San Diego Police Department, was confirmed by the City Council on Monday. He was selected by Mayor Kevin Faulconer earlier this month to succeed Chief Shelley Zimmerman, who is set to retire on March 1.“I am blessed and humbled to be the 35th police chief of the San Diego Police Department,” Nisleit said at Tuesday morning’s ceremony. “I look forward to working with the City Council and everyone in the community in making San Diego the safest large city in the United States.”Nisleit will lead the department during a time when crime in the city is at its lowest rate in decades. But he has big tasks ahead. Among them is filling more than 250 vacant police officer positions.“Today marks a new era for the San Diego Police Department,” Faulconer said.Nisleit said he’s confident that a recently approved police contract and a new retention and recruitment plan will help the department get back to full staffing in the first time in a decade. He’s hoping to fill the vacancies largely with local candidates — those who are already committed to the San Diego community. That fits in with one of his other priorities of bolstering the department’s community policing program, which means more officers walking the beat in business districts and forging lasting bonds with community leaders.Nisleit has served in the department’s gang, robbery, narcotics, homicide, sex crimes, SWAT, internal affairs and special operations units.Nisleit currently makes $147,790. His salary as chief will be $205,000. February 27, 2018 Ed Lenderman, Ed Lenderman David Nisleit sworn in as San Diego’s police chief Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Tyndall AFB Absorbs Direct Hit from Michael

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR Hurricane Michael powered through Tyndall Air Force Base Wednesday afternoon as a Category 4 hurricane, causing extensive damage. The storm made landfall just miles away along the coast of the Florida Panhandle from Tyndall with winds as high as 155 mph, removing roofs from buildings, bringing down trees and power lines, and causing significant structural damage to the base. No injuries were reported on Tyndall, which is situated on a peninsula just south of Panama City, as of Wednesday evening. The installation recorded a wind gust of 130 mph before the weather station signal was lost, reported Stars and Stripes.The condition of Tyndall’s runway was unknown, according to the installation’s Facebook page. The base’s mandatory evacuation order remains in effect until further notice, it said.Photo courtesy of U.S. Navylast_img

Ban on Maggi noodles makes Nestle India bottom line take 60 percent

first_imgHit by the ban on sales of Maggi brand noodles, Nestle India Ltd on Thursday reported 60 percent fall in its net profit and 32 percent fall in its net sales for the third quarter.The company follows calendar year as its financial year.In a media statement filed with BSE, Nestle India said its net profit for the third quarter ended September 30, 2015 was Rs.124.2 crore, down from Rs.311.3 crore for the same period the previous year.The company said it had posted a net sales of Rs.1,736.2 crore for the period under review down by 32 percent over 2014 figures.The ban on sales of Maggi noodles impacted the domestic and export sales.According to Suresh Narayanan, chairman and managing director, the company has restarted manufacturing noodles.After testing the products in three accredited laboratories and their clearance the noodles the company is keen on reintroducing the products in the market, he said.Narayanan said that during the quarter under review, the Bombay High Court had set aside the ban on Maggi noodles and ordered that the earlier batches be tested in three accredited laboratories.As per the test results, the lead content in the product is well below the permissible levels, he said.last_img read more

iPhones cosmetics recovered from 5 Biman crew

first_img.Customs intelligence officials recovered eight iPhones and some cosmetics from five cabin crew members of Biman Bangladesh Airlines at Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport on Tuesday, reports UNB.Based on secret information, a team of Customs Intelligence and Investigation Directorate (CIID) searched the bags of the five cabin crew – identified as Morzina Akhter Elin, Salma Sultana, Farzana Gazi, Moinuddin Adnan and Roman Sikder -soon after their flight arrived at the airport from Abu Dhabi.According to the baggage policy, a crew member could bring in up to $300 worth of goods, but these products were detained due to lack of proper buying documents.During preliminary interrogation, they revealed that they (cabin crew) were carrying the seized goods for one Tanim Raj, a local businessman, in exchange for money, said the director general of CIID Moinul Khan.Biman Bangladesh Airlines has been directed to take departmental action against the five crew members for breaching the rules to bring in the seized costly mobile phone sets and cosmetics, including perfumes, he said.last_img read more

Dhaka asks Naypyidaw to pull back troops from border

first_imgThis photo taken on 27 February, 2018 shows Myanmar army personnel keeping watch as Myanmar workers build a fence along the Myanmar-Bangladesh border, as seen from Tombru in the Bangladeshi district of Bandarban. Photo: AFPBangladesh Thursday asked Myanmar to immediately “pull back” security forces and heavy weapons from the border after the troop build-up near a camp housing thousands of stranded Rohingya stirred tension on the troubled frontier.The foreign ministry “summoned” Myanmar’s envoy and conveyed the country’s “concerns” over the “military build-up” amid rising tensions following the influx of nearly 700,000 Rohingya refugees from Myanmar.Bangladesh’s acting foreign secretary “conveyed to the Myanmar ambassador in Dhaka that such military build-up will create confusion within Bangladesh and escalate tensions on the border,” the ministry said.”He told the ambassador to convey to the Myanmar authorities for the immediate pullback of Myanmar security forces along with military assets from the area,” it said.Dhaka said the troops were mobilised near a thin strip of land between the two countries where around 6,000 Rohingya have been living since fleeing Myanmar following a brutal military crackdown on the Muslim minority in late August.They were among the first to flee Myanmar and set up shelters in no man’s land in the weeks before Bangladesh agreed to let the Rohingya into the country.In recent weeks they have come under pressure from Myanmar soldiers, who have stepped up patrols along the barbed-wire border fence just metres (yards) from the camp and broadcast messages using loudhailers ordering the Rohingya to leave.Hundreds of Rohingya have since fled the camp and taken shelter in refugee settlements in Bangladesh’s southeastern border district of Cox’s Bazar.The diplomatic protest came as Bangladesh border guards and Rohingya living on the no man’s land said some 100 Myanmar soldiers arrived near the refugee camp Thursday in heavy military vehicles.”They brought at least 14 ladders and intimidated us by trying to climb over the fences and come to our camp to evict us,” Rohingya leader Mohammad Arif told AFP at the Tombru border.Myanmar border police also increased their personnel tenfold near the frontier and installed heavy machine guns and mortars at bunkers they dug in recent weeks, a Bangladeshi border official told AFP.The Bangladesh border guards had requested a meeting with their Myanmar counterparts to deescalate tensions, he said, but were told the officers were “away or busy elsewhere”.The build-up came despite Bangladesh and Myanmar having signed a deal to repatriate some 750,000 Rohingya to their homeland in Rakhine state. But the process was delayed at the last moment due to lack of preparations and protests by the refugees.Myanmar views the Rohingya as illegal immigrants from Bangladesh and has long denied them citizenship and basic rights.Bangladesh’s foreign secretary has “expressed the concern” that the troop build-up might “hamper repatriation process which both sides agreed to implement”.Dil Mohammad, another Rohingya leader, said Myanmar was making “absurd claims” that Rohingya militants were hiding in the border camp.Read more: Dhaka summons Myanmar envoyMyanmar army with heavy arms, ammunition along border: BGBlast_img read more

YouTube TV Lands NBA Finals Sponsorship Building on SportsMarketing Strategy

first_imgUnder the NBA deal, a logo with “Presented by YouTube TV” will be featured prominently during all NBA Finals games, including on the court and in-arena. In addition, YouTube TV will be featured in ABC ad spots and in-game callouts. YouTube TV branding also will be featured across the NBA’s digital and social-media channels.Earlier this month, YouTube TV added NBA TV, the league’s 24-hour network, as part of the base package (which increased for new subscribers from $35 to $40 per month as of March 13). NBA League Pass, the league’s out-of-market live game subscription service, will be available for YouTube TV members for an add-on option.“The NBA Finals on ABC, as well as the WNBA Finals and NBA G League Finals, are pinnacle events, and with YouTube TV we are excited to provide fans with new ways to experience the excitement of these championship series,” said Dan Rossomondo, NBA’s SVP of global media and business development.The 2018 NBA Finals will be broadcast live on ABC starting Thursday, May 31. During The Finals, most — but not all — Americans will be able to watch ABC through YouTube TV, which is now available in nearly 100 of the top markets (spanning more than 85% of U.S. households).“YouTube TV is a next-generation partner for an ascendant league and we look forward to working with them to maximize the impact of their investment across ABC and the ESPN platform,” said Wendell Scott, ESPN’s SVP of multimedia sales.The NBA was the first pro sports league to partner with YouTube with the launch of its own channel way back in November 2005. To date, the NBA’s YouTube channel has generated more than 4.6 billion views.YouTube TV competes with other OTT live TV services, including Dish’s Sling TV, AT&T’s DirecTV Now, Hulu’s live TV bundle, Sony’s PlayStation Vue, and Fubo TV. Launched in April 2017, YouTube TV now offers more than 50 networks and features a cloud-based DVR with unlimited storage (programs are available for nine months). Popular on Variety Google’s YouTube is boxing out over-the-top TV rivals with yet another promotional sports pact: YouTube TV will be the first-ever presenting sponsor for the NBA Finals.Under the multiyear deal with the National Basketball League, YouTube TV also will be the presenting partner of finals for the Women’s National Basketball Association (WNBA) and the NBA G League, the NBA’s official minor league. The parties aren’t disclosing the length of the deal but it runs through at least 2019.The move comes after Google has inked several sports partnerships for YouTube TV in recent months, showing that it believes tying the “virtual” pay-TV brand to live sports has been an effective customer-acquisition tool.Earlier this month, YouTube renewed and extended its marketing deal with Major League Baseball, which includes YouTube TV’s return as presenting sponsor of the World Series for 2018 and 2019. It also struck exclusive streaming deals for YouTube TV with two Major League Soccer teams, Los Angeles Football Club and the Seattle Sounders FC.center_img ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15last_img read more

Snapchat Changes iOS App to Fix Things It Broke With Redesign

first_img Popular on Variety CREDIT: Courtesy of Snapchat After first testing some tweaks to its controversial redesign with a subset of its users earlier this month, Snapchat is now making the changes official: The company is switching up some of the most-criticized elements of its new design, beginning with its iOS app.Specifically, both snaps and chats are once again in chronological order. What’s more, stories from friends are once again moved to the right side of the app, where they are now listed in a separate friends row. Also on that page is now a separate subscription feed, designed to make it easier to follow stories from select publishers and creators. Snap CEO Evan Spiegel had first mentioned these design changes on the company’s recent earnings call, where he framed the changes not as a roll-back but as an optimization of the redesign.center_img “We learned that combining watching Stories and communicating with friends into the same place made it harder to optimize for both competing behaviors,” he said. “The redesign created a lot of new opportunities, and we look forward to continuing our efforts to refine and improve Snapchat.“The redesign also created a massive backlash from Snapchat’s users, with some 1.25 million signing a Change.org petition to roll it back. A number of celebrities with huge audiences on the platform echoed that criticism, including Kylie Jenner  and Chrissy Teigen. Both contributed to significant pressure on Snap’s share price, with investors worrying that the platform was at risk of losing some of its key voices.On Thursday, investors didn’t seem to much care much one way or another about the design tweaks, with Snap’s share price largely remaining flat in after-hours trading. The company’s stock has been down sharply ever since it released disappointing earnings on May 1. ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15last_img read more